When 10% > 90%
Mar 26, 2010
Scott Monty was on Marketplace last week talking about—what else?—social media. Now before I start picking apart one of his quotes, I’m going to say upfront that I think he and his team at Ford are doing incredible work utilizing social media. I’m a big fan of the Fiesta Movement, in particular. It made me want to buy one. And I even understand the point he was trying to make with the quote. But it also hit me as a bad message to send… so I’m going to use it to make my own point.
First, the quote: Ford’s Scott Monty says, “We subscribe to the Woody Allen theory of social media—90 percent of social media is just showing up.” But Monty jokes, the other 10 percent is half the battle.
And my response: That 10% (or half) better drive to some amazing content or your “showing up” will be 100% wasted.
Too many people already consider social media a panacea of marketing ills to be putting ideas in their heads that all they need to do is show up. Twitter, Facebook and the like may have fast become *the* arena for starting and carrying-on brand conversations, but at some point the conversation has to lead somewhere else. For marketing, social media is a vehicle rather than a destination. There’s an implied—or literal—link to more in every social media effort; it’s an organic invitation for fans and followers to receive more content, enter a deeper engagement, and eventually make a transaction.
So let’s get the percentages correct. Social media should absolutely be some percentage of your marketing strategy. But the 10%—the part that actual does something and leads somewhere—far outweighs the 90% of just showing up.
Watching TV as a kid, I used to run to the bathroom during the shows so I could make it back for the commercials. Those days launched me down a path that included layout and writing for the college paper; communications strategy for political campaigns; marketing strategy and graphic design for Gensler (a global design and architecture firm); and the implementation of new programming, animation and design techniques for Centerline. Today I specialize in content marketing strategy and building digital deliverables to execute those strategies. But it’s about more than just creating killer digital content. At Centerline, we help clients succeed in the digital marketplace using a three-pronged approach: strategic (message creation, brand strategy), tactical (design, development), and analytical (measurement and adaptation). This experience-tested approach allows me to build campaigns that are both well-designed and effective for clients like IBM, GE and National Instruments.